When potentially hazardous growths are suspected in a home or office building, it is essential to have a mold test performed. Finding out exactly what is in an environment is the first step necessary for remediation. Proper mold cleanup can prevent further contamination and it can safeguard health.
If a test for mold determines contamination exists within your home, school or workplace, it must be cleaned-up to prevent mold exposure symptoms. Much like any cleanup job, it is a process and no single solution will fix every issue. It is critical that mold exposure be limited and the mold spores not be allowed to contaminate any other areas.
Consideration should also be given to all treatment and mold cleanup chemicals and products used. Quite often the chemicals and products are as harmful to the people within the building as the mold itself. ImmunoLytics recommends using natural botanical products whenever possible to prevent unnecessary chemical exposure. By far the best treatment products that we have come across are those under the CitriSafe label. Please visit their website to learn more about these products.
When a mold detector reveals potentially harmful spores in an environment, cleanup is necessary to ensure safety in the future. If mold found is growing on hard, non-porous surfaces (e.g. - countertops, tile, tables, etc.), it may be cleaned-up with a disinfectant. Commonly this is done by wiping the surface with a 10% solution of household bleach. However, if the individuals in the building are sensitive to chemicals, bleach should be avoided and a natural alternative sought.
Remediation typically refers to a process in which mold contaminated materials are removed under special conditions by individuals trained in mold removal. Specifically, remediation contractors will setup containment (i.e. - temporary barriers around the mold contamination) using plastic sheeting. Inside the containment a negative air machine (i.e. - a HEPA filter that filters inside air and pushes it outside to create a slight vacuum) is used to prevent mold from contaminating other areas of the building. Once this containment has been prepared, workers wearing proper safety equipment will remove all mold contaminated materials where possible. This may include removing contaminated drywall, carpeting, 2x4s, insulation, fabrics, cardboard boxes, etc. After the removal of contaminated materials, the area may be treated to encapsulate or kill the remaining mold to finalize mold cleanup. Again, if the people in the building are chemically sensitive, a natural alternative to the typical chemicals should be used.
Following the removal of mold-contaminated materials and treatment or encapsulation activities, HEPA vacuuming of carpeting and fabric materials that may have been affected by mold contamination is suggested. This is a common task for professional remediators.
Remediation is by far the most expensive type of mold cleanup. It is suggested that all other avenues of mold cleanup be investigated before choosing to hire a remediation contractor.
When mold test kits reveal the need for cleanup, there are options people can take. Natural mold cleanup products are often recommended to avoid problems for chemically sensitive people.
To learn more about why a mold test kit is a sound purchase when contamination is suspected, just browse our site for information about black mold, testing and more. If you’d like to order a mold test, you can do so from our website, or call us at (505) 217-0339.
After all mold contamination has been removed or treated, a "clearance" mold test is performed within the containment to assure that the remediation was successful.