Mold in Schools

Concerns over mold in homes has garnered more attention over the years as people have come to understand the potential danger inherent in such a situation; and how a simple mold test  can put us back in control of our own health. However, the reality is that mold can impact us anywhere - from our homes and offices to the schools that our children attend. In fact, mold is a silent but serious enemy that can wreak havoc with the health of our children and those who work in and around our schools.

Have you noticed that your children are perfectly healthy over summer and winter breaks, but become ill frequently while at school? Schools are a large source of mold  exposure for children.

The reasons for this exposure include:

  • Flat roofs that leak.
  • Poor drainage around the school.
  • Inadequate maintenance budgets.
  • The maintenance staff’s lack of understanding as to the toxic effects of mold .
  • Schools being sealed up tight to save on energy costs.
  • Schools shutting off the air conditioners during the summer months when students are not present.
  • Poor heating, ventilating and air conditioning (HVAC) systems due to the lowest bidder getting the job during construction or remodel.
  • Water not being dried-up within 48 hours.

Please realize that “the m-word” ( mold ) raises immediate red flags at most schools. However, the reason for these red flags are not necessarily attached to appropriate motives. School systems quite often have a risk management department that is more concerned with limiting the school’s liability than keeping students healthy. It is for this reason that you should not rely on your school(s) to protect your child’s health. ImmunoLytics recommends that each room the child spends time in be tested to determine if the air that they are breathing contains high levels of mold . This can be done with a Mold Test Kit.

 

Image 1: Poor Drainage Around the School Building

Image 2: Mold Growing Inside a School Building Wall

Let’s face it; during the school year, children spend the majority of their time in the classroom - more time than they spend at home. If mold is present in their school, they are susceptible to exposure which can trigger a variety of symptoms including nasal congestion, skin and eye irritation, coughing, and wheezing. More serious symptoms - including difficulty breathing - may arise in those children who suffer from allergies or asthma.

A simple test for mold  can determine if the air that your children are breathing every day is healthy. When it comes to something this important - the short term and long term health of our children - there’s no reason to take any chances. Let ImmunoLytics help you gather the information that will allow you to keep your children safe while they are in school.

ImmunoLytics is the lab to turn to for the highest quality mold test kits . We stand behind our products with the expertise that has set us apart in the industry. To find out more about us or our products, just browse our website or contact us directly at (505) 217-0339 with any questions you may have.